San Diego FC Unveils Team Name, Crest, & Brand Identity Reflecting Community’s Talent, Diversity and Spirit
San Diego Football Club, the 30th team in Major League Soccer, proudly unveiled its highly anticipated Club name, crest, and brand identity, marking a significant milestone in the community’s sports history. Revealed in front of thousands of fans at Snapdragon Stadium, the Club crest and visual identity captures the vibrant essence of San Diego, paying homage to the 18 diverse cities that together create the heart and soul of this iconic community.
San Diego FC’s brand identity was created by world-renowned design agency Pupila in collaboration with San Diego-based creative agency The House Of, following months of research conducted through focus groups, member surveys, and countless meetings and listening sessions with the San Diego community. That extensive research unearthed four principal virtues that define San Diego:
- Gratitude for this beautiful place we call home
- Proud, Not Loud, living with a quiet and understated confidence
- Diversity of communities, neighborhoods, experiences and cultures
- State of Flow, performing at a peak level and embracing our unique rhythm of life
“Our brand identity has been co-created with our fans and supporters over the past six months,” said Tom Penn, CEO, San Diego FC. “We believe our crest truly reflects the essence and spirit of San Diego. Our Club strives to become the epicenter of football excellence and innovation in North America.”
OUR NAME: San Diego FC
The community comes first in our Club. When we say San Diego this includes the entire region, including all 18 cities in San Diego County plus the cross border communities in Mexico. San Diego has a rich sporting history, deep talent pool and has long been considered the heart of soccer development in America. We chose to call ourselves a Football Club since we will be competing on the global stage in the world’s game. The term Club represents that we are not just a team, not just another franchise. Our Club includes our owners, players, employees, partners, fans and supporters.
OUR COLORS: Chrome & Azul
Chrome is a symbol of San Diego’s spirit of excellence and cutting edge innovation. Chrome is reflective and dynamic in nature, an effect as well as a color. Through Chrome, our club reflects the colors of the community, shades of yellow, orange, red and blue. Azul, a dark navy blue, spotlights San Diego’s deep connection to the Pacific Ocean and our daily enjoyment of the clear blue sky.
- The heart of our crest is “The Flow,” comprised of 18 lines representing the 18 communities of San Diego County, woven into one. The Flow symbolizes how we perform at a peak level while embracing San Diego’s unique rhythm of life.
- “San Diego” is displayed at the top of the crest in the form of an arch, inspired by the iconic neighborhood arches and signs around greater San Diego.
- The shield shape represents the strength and unity of our community. The chrome finish on the shield reflects the colors of the community in the outer layer of our crest.
Coinciding with the announcement, official San Diego FC merchandise is available for purchase on the MLSStore.com, including scarves, outerwear, t-shirts, hats, and youth apparel.
For the latest news and club updates, follow @SanDiegoFC on social media across all platforms and use the hashtag #SanDiegoFC, #WovenIntoOne, #18somosUno.